I earned about $8,000 from Upwork last year, which is not much, but still, considering I’m just a part-time freelancer, it’s not bad either. It was all about writing the right proposals that hit the bull’s eye for me each time I won a job! The Upwork proposal sample PDF that I have shared in this blog with you is one of the most powerful tools a freelancer can use when applying for job postings.
My Upwork proposal sample PDF can help you stand out from the other Upwork applicants and increase your chances of being hired.
The Upwork proposal sample PDF I have shared includes some really useful yet simple tips to help you write the best Upwork proposal. It starts with the basics, guiding you on how to craft a compelling Upwork profile, followed by some tips on creating the ideal Upwork job proposal. It also covers other important aspects like Upwork freelance hourly rate and Upwork proposals samples for certain industries.
Understanding The Upwork Proposal Process
The Upwork platform is a great way to find freelance work, but it can also be intimidating. The Upwork proposal process starts with the client posting the job and Upwork freelancers submitting their proposals. Upwork uses a comprehensive system to evaluate freelancers’ skills and profiles, taking into account your feedback score, Upwork hours logged, Upwork job success score, consistency and hourly rate.
Nobody knows what the Upwork algorithm is exactly, and to make things more complicated, they keep changing it constantly. That is where the power of your proposal comes in. Upwork freelance proposal sample PDFs, like the one I am sharing with you today, can be a great asset for Upwork freelancers in making their Upwork proposals stand out.
How To Craft a Winning Upwork Proposal?
To come directly to the point, it’s all about making your proposal “client-specific” or, more accurately, “job-specific.” It means you must tailor your Upwork proposals to each job posting. That’s essential if you want the Upwork algorithm to take your Upwork proposal seriously.
The Upwork proposal sample PDF I have shared with you contains some great Upwork proposal templates. These Upwork freelance proposal samples can be used to craft the perfect Upwork proposal in minutes.
Tips for Writing an Effective Upwork Proposal
Here are some of the best, tried-and-tested Upwork proposal tips that you can use in your Upwork freelance proposal sample:
- Research the Upwork job posting thoroughly. Understand exactly what the Upwork client is looking for.
- Personalize your Upwork proposal to each Upwork job posting. Don’t send a generic Upwork proposal.
- Your proposal should come straight to the point. No useless self-boasting or unwanted greetings and copy-pasted opening lines.
- Tell the client how you will solve their problem. Remember, they are spending money to get the job done, so they are looking for an Upwork freelancer who can provide a solution.
- • Be professional in your Upwork. No slang, no wrong grammar, no typos.
- Upwork proposal samples should be well-structured. Split your text into short paragraphs (2-3 lines each max). Use correct punctuation.
- Upsell yourself. Include Upwork samples, Upwork job success score or Upwork hourly rate and mention awards or recognition. But only in the very end.
- Once done, don’t forget to proofread. Upwork is a competitive platform, and you don’t want to be butchered by typos.
How to Format Your Upwork Proposal
Upwork proposal samples should be structured in a way that Upwork clients can quickly understand them. Make sure you have the following sections:
A Quick Intro:
Introduce your name and mention if you’re top-rated or top-rated plus. If you’re not, better not say. You may or may not mention the Upwork feedback score or Upwork job success score here but don’t make it too flashy.
Address The Job at Hand:
Explain how you can solve an Upwork client’s problem. Take note of the words, jargon, and terminologies that the client has used in their proposal. Make sure to address each one of them and mention how you can provide a solution.
Provide The Detailed Game Plan:
This is the time to really break it down. Explain in detail what steps you will be taking to solve the Upwork client’s problem. Mention how each step will contribute to the overall Upwork project.
Clarify The Time It Will Take and How Much You’ll Charge:
Mention how many Upwork hours you will be logging for this Upwork job, or if it’s a fixed-price job, mention your turnaround time. The Upwork proposal sample PDF I have shared in the end will guide you on how you can calculate Upwork hours and Upwork rates for Upwork fixed-price jobs.
Have you done similar jobs before? Have your Upwork project catalogs been successful? Upsell yourself, but don’t brag. Mention awards and Upwork job success rate only if you have them.
Attach Relevant Samples:
If you have Upwork samples relevant to the Upwork job posting, attach them. Also, make sure you mention in your Upwork proposal that Upwork samples are available.
What to Include in Your Upwork Profile and Portfolio?
Your Upwork profile should have a professional Upwork picture and a detailed introduction/description covering all aspects of your niche, skills, certifications, and relevant experience.
You must ensure that you’ve used all the relevant keywords in your profile description, sprinkled throughout evenly. Upwork profile optimization is a must. Your Upwork portfolio should have at least 5-6 Upwork samples of the projects you’ve completed.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Writing an Upwork Proposal
You might be the best fit for the job, but you’ll destroy your chances of Upwork success if you make these Upwork blunders:
- • Don’t send Upwork proposal samples that are identical or similar to what you have sent to other Upwork clients.
- • Don’t be too wordy. Use simple Upwork jargon and Upwork terminologies only if they are relevant.
- • Don’t brag too much in your Upwork job proposal. Upsell yourself, but don’t say something like, “I’m the best Upwork freelancer.”
- • Don’t forget to proofread. Upwork proposals have a lot of competition. Upwork proposals with typos and wrong grammar don’t stand a chance.
- • Don’t offer Upwork discounts or work outside Upwork. Upwork doesn’t like it, and the algorithm will detect and punish you for it.
What Time Should You Submit An Upwork Proposal?
It is always better to submit Upwork proposals from 9 GMT to 5 GMT. This is because Upwork clients from the USA, Canada, and Europe are mostly active during these Upwork hours, and Upwork proposals sent at this time range have more chances of Upwork success.
Download Sample Upwork Proposal PDF
Feel free to read all of the above and more on my Upwork proposal sample PDF. It contains Upwork samples on Upwork proposal writing, Upwork project optimization tips and Upwork success metrics.